posted Apr 2, 2014, 7:03 AM by Site Administrator
updated Aug 14, 2014, 6:40 PM
Parents, Coaches and New Recruits,
If you are a new "soccer parent", someone thinking about helping out, one of our current coaches or would simply like to learn more about MAYSA, I encourage you to set aside 90 minutes next Thursday, August 14th at 6PM and come learn more about MAYSA at our fields located at Coolsprings Fitness.
If you are relatively new to MAYSA, you may be unaware of the depth of playing and coaching experience that exists throughout the MAYSA organization. MAYSA works hard to maintain a high level of soccer experience and positive youth coaching principals throughout the organization.
For years, MAYSA has had a strong relationship with our high school men's and women's soccer programs. Beyond their high school duties, Men's Head Coach Ryan Hoffman and Women's Head Coach Emilie Humes, both help coordinate MAYSA player development, coach MAYSA spring travel teams and provide guidance to our MAYSA coaches throughout the year. Mercer's high school program has been a dominate force in the District 10 Division over the years competing at the highest levels. Over the past four years the program has captured four Regional-1 Titles, one District-10 Championship and a District-10 Championship runner up.
Last year's Parent Coach Clinic included a visit from a long time friend of MAYSA, Grove City College Men's Soccer Head Coach, Mike Dreves. Mike has been the Head Coach at Grove City for 7 years after being the assistant coach for 5 years. Mike holds the NSCCA "Premier" license as well as the United States Soccer Federation's "B" license. Mike has been awarded, by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) the Team Academic Award 4 times and the Ethics award. Mike has often shared his experience and knowledge on coaching youth soccer with MAYSA coaches and continues to make himself available to MAYSA and all our coaches (even the newest beginner level coaches) for any questions or help.
This year we are proud to have Bill Juergens lead our MAYSA Parent Coach Clinic. Many of you may know Bill and his family as long-time members of our community. If you do know Bill, you're aware he is humble and would not bring up past accomplishments. I've asked Bill to allow me to highlight some of his soccer background so that our newer coaches and families may have the opportunity to learn more about MAYSA.
- Bill brings over 25 years of coaching experience to MAYSA
- He was the first head coach for the boys varsity team at Mercer High School and in four years took the team to it’s first District 10 play-off appearance
- Coached multiple State Level teams for Stars United out of Pittsburgh, PA with numerous semifinal and final appearances
- Two State Cup Championships
- In 2009, won the prestigious NIKE Challenge Cup in Columbus, Ohio with the Stars United U-17 Boys
- Toured England with the U-16 Stars United Boys in 2011 defeating academy teams from The Leatherhead Academy and National Training Center while he trained in residence at Chelsea Football Club
- Bill was a 2014 Inductee into the Grove City College All Sports Hall of Fame
- As a player, Bill was a four year letter winner, three year team Captain, team MVP, three year All-Presidents Athletic Conference team, Regional All-American and National All-American while at Grove City College
- In 2001 Bill was part of the inaugural class inducted into the Grove City College Soccer Hall of Fame
- Currently Bill is President of MAYSA and a volunteer assistant coach for the Mercer High School Boys and Girls teams.
It is my hope that you will take this opportunity and plan to attend this year's Parent Coach Clinic next Thursday, August 14th at 6PM. Our 2014 Parent Coach Clinic is a great place to learn more about MAYSA, youth coaching and how we operate.
"Professional coaches measure success in rings.
College coaches measure success in championships.
High School coaches measure success in titles.
Youth coaches measure success in smiles."
-P. McAllister, Youth Coach