Spring Soccer is for players in grades 3 through 11th. Players are assigned a team, coach, practice twice a week. For most players practice is Wednesday and Fridays. There is a weekly Match each Sunday afternoon.
To learn more about Spring Soccer or to view our complete list of FAQs, click on the Spring Soccer tab above. If you have any questions about registration, please contact our Registrar, Lynn Long at LynnLongSoccer@gmail.com or 724-662-0745.
Winter Indoor Pickup Soccer is intended for players in grades 3-6th who are seriously considering playing Spring Soccer. Younger players will be teamed with and play against older more experienced players. If you are Interested in registering for Winter Indoor Pickup Soccer, please contact us at EmailUs@MercerSoccer.org.
- Winter Indoor Pickup Soccer begins Saturday January 10, 2015.
- Each Saturday weekly session runs from 4pm-6pm.
- Teams created each week (pickup). Younger children will be playing with (and against) 4th, 5th and 6th graders.
- We play at the Mercer Area Elementary school gym.
- The spirit of Winter Indoor Pickup Soccer is to provide a less structured pickup game competitive atmosphere. We believe that during this time of the year having fun, getting "touches" and simply playing will go a long way towards helping players maintain their skill set and prepare for Spring Soccer.
- Winter Indoor Pickup Soccer is free to those players who are already MAYSA Club members. Club membership constitutes having a paid registration for the 2014 Fall, Summer or Spring season.
- New players or non-club players must register and provide a $10 registration fee. Contact of details and to register, EmailUs@MercerSoccer.org
Remember to sign up for Club Recent Announcements and Information on your phone by texting followmaysa to 84483. If you still have questions contact us at EmailUs@MercerSoccer.org
- Winter Indoor Pickup Soccer runs until early-mid March.
(for those currently participating in MAYSA's Youth Referee Program)
- There will be a recertification class held on December 20th, from 9 am - 12 pm, at the Mercer Elementary School.
- Remember to review your materials
NEW REFEREES CLASS:
- Youth must be at least 14 years of age.
- Class dates to be established by PA West in January 2015.
MAYSA 2014 Highlights
Below are the high points of MAYSA's 2014 season. Beyond the points below, and maybe more importantly, are the intangibles such as the value of lasting relationships, community involvement and all the recreational fitness provided. To everyone in the MAYSA family, thank you!
Soccer Program Participation:
- In 2014 MAYSA had 269 players participate in our soccer programs, making MAYSA the largest youth sports organization in Mercer.
- MAYSA's 2014 registration numbers increased 20% from our previous year (2013).
- MAYSA now provides soccer year-round to the Mercer Area: Fall Soccer (In-House and Travel), Winter Pickup (grade3-6), Spring Soccer (Travel U10-U18) and Summer Pickup (K-2, U14 & U18).
- We have several players playing at the State Cup level.
- MAYSA travel and high school player, Matt Juergens, named District-10, Region-1A, 2014 high school player of the year.
- Several players have played and or plan to play at the College level.
- We have at least one previous player now coaching at the College level.
Youth Referee Program:
- MAYSA's Youth Referee Program had over 20 youth referee's participate.
- Youth (boys and girls) age 14 and older are trained and ref all across western PA.
- PA West's 2013-2014 State Youth Referee Of The Year came from our club for the third straight year - Katie Skidmore.
- Our past Certified Referee assignor was recently hired as the State Referee Administrator which the top administrative referee position in PA West.
- Had one of our parent volunteers become certified as a referee assignor and fill the position vacated by the previous assignor
- Our fields located at Cool Springs Fitness provide one of the top youth soccer facilities in Northwestern PA.
- With the in-ground drainage, games have never had to be cancelled due to unplayable fields and we are often the first on the field each spring.
- MAYSA has more than 50 volunteer coaches, many played for the club as youths.
- MAYSA coaches were the first in the western PA area to participate in new U.S. Youth Soccer's Coaching Certification Program.
- Fifteen (15) of our coaches completed and obtained their U.S. Youth U12, U10 and U6 certification.
- Pre-season Parent/Coach Clinic and resources (again) provided by MAYSA to all coaches.
- MAYSA's partnership with Cool Springs Fitness insures the long term availability of a high quality soccer expereience for the Mercer Area.
- The coaching staffs of all Mercer Area School District (school) teams are made up of past MAYSA players or past & current MAYSA coaches.
- High school and middle school coaches assist MAYSA's Player and coaching development.
- Mercer's boys and girls high school teams plus the middle school team finished the season with winning records.
- The Boy's Varsity team was undefeated during the regular season before losing in the District 10 semi-final match.
- Had 13 of our Varsity boys and girls players selected to the All Region Team.
- Had the Varsity boys Region Player of the Year.
- MAYSA is a 501c3 non-profit and operates separately from Cool Springs Fitness.
- MAYSA owns and operates its own Concession Trailer.
- MAYSA is solely responsible and manages all Field Maintenance (i.e., seeding, fertilizing, aeration, etc...).
Get MAYSA Club Announcements and Seasonal Registration Reminders On Your Phone!
We encourage parents to take advantage of the most convenient way to receive important MAYSA Club announcements and reminders.
You can receive all Club Announcements by simply texting the keyword followmaysa to 84483 (a five digit number). You will receive an immediate confirmation and all future Club specific information and updates.
We promise to respect your time and not overwhelm your inbox with needless text messages. This service is intended to be a convenience. If at anytime you find it otherwise you may suspend receiving Club Announcements by texting the keyword stop to 84483.
In recent years, MAYSA is very proud to have had three of its youth, from among thousands of area referees, be selected and honored as PA West Soccer's Referee Of The Year.
Did you know?
MAYSA's Youth Referee Program, part of PA West Soccer's Referee Program, works to help our young referees develop a strong work ethic, leadership attributes and a knowledge of the rules of the game. Youth referees serve as positive role models as well as provide an invaluable service to their community (and get paid!).
Each year PA West selects a single Male and Female Referee, from over thousands of youth referees, as its Referee Of The Year. In recent years, MAYSA is very proud to have had three of its youth, selected from among thousands of referees, honored by PA West:
2013-2014 Katie Skidmore
2010-2011 Nick Sharr
2010-2011 Julia Weller
MAYSA coaches and assistants are among some of the first participating in new U.S. Youth Soccer training courses this season. MAYSA has always encouraged ongoing coaching education. Each year MAYSA provides our pre-season Parent-Coach Clinic. MAYSA also provides access to resources such as books, online materials via our website and access to experienced high school, college and nationally licensed coaches who will answer any and all questions. U.S. Youth Soccer and PA West, our governing bodies, continue to explore the latest in providing parent-coaches with the resources necessary to be better youth coaches.
In the upcoming 2015-2016 season, U.S. Youth Soccer and PA West will require all In-House and Travel coaches to complete their Youth Coaching Course. The course has two parts. The first part of the course is an Online Session/Module here. The session takes about 90 minutes to complete and can be started and stopped at any point. The second part of the course is a Field Session where an PA West instructor will go through a training session with each participant.
The objectives of the training courses include:
- To help coaches better understand the physiological as well as the psychological development and needs of youth-aged players.
- To prepare coaches for training players by expanding the player’s technical abilities through fun games and activities.
- To provide the framework and understanding of practical coaching tools for the preparation of the players and the team.
- To introduce attacking and defending tactics.
- To provide the framework and understanding for small sided games
PA West is holding a Field Training Session this Thursday evening at MAYSA home fields. A coach or assistant signs up for the course specific to the age group in which they will be coaching (i.e., U6, U10-U12).
Several weeks ago, MAYSA coaches and assistants began preparing by completing the Online Session and registered for the Field Session. Many will complete their training and course work this Thursday evening.
The commitment by our coaches and assistants to continue their training only strengthens MAYSA ability to provide a quality environment and soccer training experience to the community for years to come.
Cool Springs Fitness is starting a new Youth Sports Conditioning Program, and we want you to be the first to know!
Youth Cross Training Camp is a program for boys and girls ages 9 - 12 looking to get ahead in the game. This program will focus on sports such as soccer, basketball, and baseball to prepare young athletes for the upcoming season. Participants will work on basic sports strength and conditioning, sport-specific drills, and timed activities to keep things competitive. To help with motivation, athletes will set goals and track their progress throughout the program. Your feedback is needed to help
make Y X-Camp: Youth Sports Conditioning a success! Please show your interest in the program by doing the following:
- Tell us what sport(s) and skills you would like to improve upon.
- What day and time works best for you. (Sessions are 90 minutes long.) Choices include:
Fridays 4:30 – 6:00 PM
Fridays 5:00 – 6:30 PM
Saturdays 12:00 – 1:30 PM
Call Cool Springs Fitness at 724-662-1910
OR stop at the front desk and speak with a membership associate
Please be sure to contact us with your questions, comments and your interest in this exciting new program. We look forward to hearing from you by October 10, 2014
Program Coordinator and Coach
Cool Springs Fitness & Aquatics
About the Coach:
Luke Perrine graduated from Slippery Rock University where he received his bachelor’s degree in exercise science. Luke has worked with athletes from grade school through college level. He has experience in training and coaching elementary school basketball athletes, Reynolds High School’s baseball team, and the SRU men’s soccer team. Luke is a personal trainer, instructor, and sports coach with Cool Springs Fitness.
If you are new to MAYSA or just new to soccer, you may be unaware of the outstanding Mercer Mustang soccer program that has been built over the years! For years, Mercer's high school men's soccer team, women's soccer team, and our coed middle school teams have consistently been among the top local teams.
This year the Men's high school team
is undefeated at 10-0, on their way to defending their Region-I Title and working towards another District Championship! This year the Mustangs celebrated their 20th year anniversary, see the recent article in the Record Argus here
. Over the past four years, the Men's high school soccer team has been a dominated local play. The team has posted:
62 wins, 9 losses and 7 ties
- 1 District-10 Championship
- 1 District-10 Championship runner up
This year the Women's high school team is working to build on last years success even with what some consider a young roster. During 2013 the Women's team capture:
- District-10 Championship runner up
All high school home games played at Lamor Rd. Field (by the Elementary School). Upcoming Mercer high school home games include:
This year the middle school team is 8-2-2 and again building on its annual success.
| Men's|| Women's|
| Tue. Oct 7, 7:30 ||Wed. Oct 8, 7:00 |
| Mon. Oct 13, 7:00||Sat. Oct 11, 1:00 |
| Sat. Oct 18, 6:30|| Thu Oct 15, 7:30 |
| Thu. Oct 23, 6:30||Wed Oct 22, 5:00|
Come cheer on all our Mustang Soccer teams!
For years, our Mercer Mustang High School Soccer program and MAYSA have worked closely together and continue to maintain a strong relationship. Beyond their high school duties, Men's Head Coach Ryan Hoffman, Women's Head Coach Emilie Humes, and middle school coach Nick McConnell all help coordinate MAYSA player development and help coach MAYSA spring travel teams and provide guidance to all our MAYSA coaches throughout the year. Many of the current players have come through MASYA.
We are proud of their accomplishments and wish them all a great season!
Back by poplar demand, Pizza-n-Practice Thursdays! Again this year, our friendly neighborhood Pizza Joes has partnered with MAYSA on a great deal!
Get a 9-Cut pizza delivered to the practice field for $9.00 when you order through MAYSA!
can be a bit hectic. Our family is running around after school trying to complete homework, prepare dinner, get the kids changed and get to the fields on time. Maybe the following will help: You can order, through MAYSA, a Pizza Joe's 9-cut pizza with one topping for only $9! All pizzas will be delivered to the fields at approximately 5:30pm.
Further, all proceeds go directly to MAYSA! This is potentially a win/win/win for busy parents, MAYSA and our local Pizza Joe's! For details on how to order your Pizza, have it delivered to the fields at 5:30PM and pay, read below.
Can I order today?
Yes. Orders will be accepted anytime before Thursday at 2:00PM
. The $9 per pizza offer is valid only on orders placed through MAYSA.
How do I order?
Email us your order at EmailUs@MercerSoccer.org
. Include your full name and a contact phone number (home or cell phone number) which may be used to verify your order if you email is not recognized.
What can I order?
There are three (3) possible orders:
- 9-cut Pizza Plain
- 9-cut Pizza with Pepperoni
- 9-cut Pizza with Sausage
- 9-cut Pizza with Mushroom
- 9-cut Pizza with Bacon
Can I order slices?
Sorry, but only 9-cut pizzas can be ordered.
When can I pick up my pizza?
Your pizza order will be delivered to the fields, just prior to 5:30PM on Thursday and available at the Concession Stand.
How do pay?
We will accept cash payments at the field via our normal Concession Stand arrangement.
What if I order and practice is cancelled?
The pizza orders will be at Concession Stand at 5:30 even if we don't play soccer.
What if I ordered, but for some reason do not make it to the fields that evening?
We know that things happen, however, we ask that you please understand that if you email us with an order, MAYSA will have already paid for your order before you pick it up. Thus, upon placing an order, you accept and agree that you are responsible for the full cost of your order.
Can I cancel?
A cancellation request (via email) will be accepted only if it is received before noon on Thursday and only after it is confirmed by phone. Please include a contact phone number on any email request to cancel an order.
Questions and Orders:
Thanks Pizza Joe's!