In recent years, MAYSA is very proud to have had three of its youth, from among thousands of area referees, be selected and honored as PA West Soccer's Referee Of The Year. Did you know?
MAYSA's Youth Referee Program, part of PA West Soccer's Referee Program, works to help our young referees develop a strong work ethic, leadership attributes and a knowledge of the rules of the game. Youth referees serve as positive role models as well as provide an invaluable service to their community (and get paid!).
Each year PA West selects a single Male and Female Referee, from over thousands of youth referees, as its Referee Of The Year. In recent years, MAYSA is very proud to have had three of its youth, selected from among thousands of referees, honored by PA West:
2013-2014 Katie Skidmore
2010-2011 Nick Sharr
2010-2011 Julia Weller
MAYSA coaches and assistants are among some of the first participating in new U.S. Youth Soccer training courses this season. MAYSA has always encouraged ongoing coaching education. Each year MAYSA provides our pre-season Parent-Coach Clinic. MAYSA also provides access to resources such as books, online materials via our website and access to experienced high school, college and nationally licensed coaches who will answer any and all questions. U.S. Youth Soccer and PA West, our governing bodies, continue to explore the latest in providing parent-coaches with the resources necessary to be better youth coaches.
In the upcoming 2015-2016 season, U.S. Youth Soccer and PA West will require all In-House and Travel coaches to complete their Youth Coaching Course. The course has two parts. The first part of the course is an Online Session/Module here. The session takes about 90 minutes to complete and can be started and stopped at any point. The second part of the course is a Field Session where an PA West instructor will go through a training session with each participant.
The objectives of the training courses include:
- To help coaches better understand the physiological as well as the psychological development and needs of youth-aged players.
- To prepare coaches for training players by expanding the player’s technical abilities through fun games and activities.
- To provide the framework and understanding of practical coaching tools for the preparation of the players and the team.
- To introduce attacking and defending tactics.
- To provide the framework and understanding for small sided games
PA West is holding a Field Training Session this Thursday evening at MAYSA home fields. A coach or assistant signs up for the course specific to the age group in which they will be coaching (i.e., U6, U10-U12).
Several weeks ago, MAYSA coaches and assistants began preparing by completing the Online Session and registered for the Field Session. Many will complete their training and course work this Thursday evening.
The commitment by our coaches and assistants to continue their training only strengthens MAYSA ability to provide a quality environment and soccer training experience to the community for years to come.
Cool Springs Fitness is starting a new Youth Sports Conditioning Program, and we want you to be the first to know!
Youth Cross Training Camp is a program for boys and girls ages 9 - 12 looking to get ahead in the game. This program will focus on sports such as soccer, basketball, and baseball to prepare young athletes for the upcoming season. Participants will work on basic sports strength and conditioning, sport-specific drills, and timed activities to keep things competitive. To help with motivation, athletes will set goals and track their progress throughout the program. Your feedback is needed to help
make Y X-Camp: Youth Sports Conditioning a success! Please show your interest in the program by doing the following:
- Tell us what sport(s) and skills you would like to improve upon.
- What day and time works best for you. (Sessions are 90 minutes long.) Choices include:
Fridays 4:30 – 6:00 PM
Fridays 5:00 – 6:30 PM
Saturdays 12:00 – 1:30 PM
Call Cool Springs Fitness at 724-662-1910
OR stop at the front desk and speak with a membership associate
Please be sure to contact us with your questions, comments and your interest in this exciting new program. We look forward to hearing from you by October 10, 2014
Program Coordinator and Coach
Cool Springs Fitness & Aquatics
About the Coach:
Luke Perrine graduated from Slippery Rock University where he received his bachelor’s degree in exercise science. Luke has worked with athletes from grade school through college level. He has experience in training and coaching elementary school basketball athletes, Reynolds High School’s baseball team, and the SRU men’s soccer team. Luke is a personal trainer, instructor, and sports coach with Cool Springs Fitness.
If you are new to MAYSA or just new to soccer, you may be unaware of the outstanding Mercer Mustang soccer program that has been built over the years! For years, Mercer's high school men's soccer team, women's soccer team, and our coed middle school teams have consistently been among the top local teams.
This year the Men's high school team
is undefeated at 10-0, on their way to defending their Region-I Title and working towards another District Championship! This year the Mustangs celebrated their 20th year anniversary, see the recent article in the Record Argus here
. Over the past four years, the Men's high school soccer team has been a dominated local play. The team has posted:
62 wins, 9 losses and 7 ties
- 1 District-10 Championship
- 1 District-10 Championship runner up
This year the Women's high school team is working to build on last years success even with what some consider a young roster. During 2013 the Women's team capture:
- District-10 Championship runner up
All high school home games played at Lamor Rd. Field (by the Elementary School). Upcoming Mercer high school home games include:
This year the middle school team is 8-2-2 and again building on its annual success.
| Men's|| Women's|
| Tue. Oct 7, 7:30 ||Wed. Oct 8, 7:00 |
| Mon. Oct 13, 7:00||Sat. Oct 11, 1:00 |
| Sat. Oct 18, 6:30|| Thu Oct 15, 7:30 |
| Thu. Oct 23, 6:30||Wed Oct 22, 5:00|
Come cheer on all our Mustang Soccer teams!
For years, our Mercer Mustang High School Soccer program and MAYSA have worked closely together and continue to maintain a strong relationship. Beyond their high school duties, Men's Head Coach Ryan Hoffman, Women's Head Coach Emilie Humes, and middle school coach Nick McConnell all help coordinate MAYSA player development and help coach MAYSA spring travel teams and provide guidance to all our MAYSA coaches throughout the year. Many of the current players have come through MASYA.
We are proud of their accomplishments and wish them all a great season!
Back by poplar demand, Pizza-n-Practice Thursdays! Again this year, our friendly neighborhood Pizza Joes has partnered with MAYSA on a great deal!
Get a 9-Cut pizza delivered to the practice field for $9.00 when you order through MAYSA!
can be a bit hectic. Our family is running around after school trying to complete homework, prepare dinner, get the kids changed and get to the fields on time. Maybe the following will help: You can order, through MAYSA, a Pizza Joe's 9-cut pizza with one topping for only $9! All pizzas will be delivered to the fields at approximately 5:30pm.
Further, all proceeds go directly to MAYSA! This is potentially a win/win/win for busy parents, MAYSA and our local Pizza Joe's! For details on how to order your Pizza, have it delivered to the fields at 5:30PM and pay, read below.
Can I order today?
Yes. Orders will be accepted anytime before Thursday at 2:00PM
. The $9 per pizza offer is valid only on orders placed through MAYSA.
How do I order?
Email us your order at EmailUs@MercerSoccer.org
. Include your full name and a contact phone number (home or cell phone number) which may be used to verify your order if you email is not recognized.
What can I order?
There are three (3) possible orders:
- 9-cut Pizza Plain
- 9-cut Pizza with Pepperoni
- 9-cut Pizza with Sausage
- 9-cut Pizza with Mushroom
- 9-cut Pizza with Bacon
Can I order slices?
Sorry, but only 9-cut pizzas can be ordered.
When can I pick up my pizza?
Your pizza order will be delivered to the fields, just prior to 5:30PM on Thursday and available at the Concession Stand.
How do pay?
We will accept cash payments at the field via our normal Concession Stand arrangement.
What if I order and practice is cancelled?
The pizza orders will be at Concession Stand at 5:30 even if we don't play soccer.
What if I ordered, but for some reason do not make it to the fields that evening?
We know that things happen, however, we ask that you please understand that if you email us with an order, MAYSA will have already paid for your order before you pick it up. Thus, upon placing an order, you accept and agree that you are responsible for the full cost of your order.
Can I cancel?
A cancellation request (via email) will be accepted only if it is received before noon on Thursday and only after it is confirmed by phone. Please include a contact phone number on any email request to cancel an order.
Questions and Orders:
Thanks Pizza Joe's!
Team Picture Day will be Saturday, September 13th. There are many options such as team picture, individual pictures, key chains, mugs and more.
On September 13th, please arrive 45 minutes prior to your scheduled Match in order to insure we get through the pictures and can begin playing on time.
Please pickup a picture order form by visiting the Check-In table (during this week's Thursday practice) or at the Concession Stand (this Saturday).
Turn in your picture order form with a check on Team Picture Day to the photographer.
Each year, Open House and Picture Day represent the final practice and match day scheduling changes. After this week there are no planned additional events that would change either practice times or match times.
MAYSA In-House Recreational Soccer Team
The start time of Thursday's (9/11) practice will be moved to 6:30PM to allow parents to attend Mercer Elementary school's Open House and hopefully still make all or part of Thursday's practice. That evening In-House practice will run from 6:30-7:40. Open House begins at 5:30.
Each year practice coincides with Mercer Elementary's Open House. Our coaches understand if your child can attend only a portion of the practice. Thanks everyone
In-House Team Schedules are available! Click below to see your team's schedule. Each Schedule includes the team you play against each week, the field and the shirt color (i.e., red or reversible white).
In short, all games are held on Saturday mornings. All games are played at the (4) CSF fields. Beginning Division matches begin at 9:30AM, Junior Division matches at 10:30AM and Senior Division matches at 11:30AM.
Please arrive 15-20 minutes prior to the beginning of a match to allow for warm up and coaching instruction.
Beginning Division Schedule Junior Division Senior Division
Click on the proper icon ( above) to read or print out your team's schedule.
To receive the latest updates and information, sign up for MAYSA Text Message Alerts, please texted followmaysa to 84483. You should receive an immediate confirmation.
Parents of In-House Recreational and Instructional Players,
We always tell our youth coaches that they have had a successful season, with kids this age, if the kids are smiling, had fun, learned a little soccer and want to return. While our registration numbers are up over 25% this year! The kids are returning and bringing their friends! That is great news!
To help practices and match day run as smoothly as possible, we will need your help. During these early practices please bare with us as we set up teams, get new coaches acclimated, work through finalizing registrations (i.e., birth certificates, etc…) and get the kids to the right place on the field. We ask for your patience during the first couple practices. Please understand there will be over 150 players on the fields. Until you and your child are familiar with how things work, at first, it can seem a bit chaotic and overwhelming.
Below are a few reminders to help with the first few evenings of practice and the upcoming season. Please take a couple minutes to read through the entire list:
Latest Reminders (Updated 9/7/14):
1. Practice Time Changed for Open House: The start time of Thursday's (9/11) practice has been moved to 6:30PM in order to allow parents to attend Mercer Elementary school's Open House and hopefully still make all or part of practice. That even practice will run from 6:30 to 7:40PM. Open House begins at 5:30.
Each year practice coincides with Mercer Elementary's Open House. Although we hope all the players make the entire practice, our coaches certainly understand if your child can attend only a portion of practice.
2. Picture Day/Order Forms: Saturday, September 13th. Please arrive 45 minutes prior to your scheduled Match in order that we can begin playing on time. Picture Order Forms are available at the Concession's Stand, Check-In table or can be downloaded here.
3. Picture Day/Order Forms: Saturday, September 13th. Please arrive 45 minutes prior to your scheduled Match in order that we can begin playing on time. Picture Order Forms are available at the Concession's Stand, Check-In table or can be downloaded here.
4. Game Seating: This year there are 3 Jr/Sr fields. We ask that our Junior and Senior Division parents watch the game from one side of the field while the teams and coaches will be on the opposite side. This will help us reduce distractions, help the players focus on the coach's instructions and allow the coaches to work towards coaching more from the sideline and less from the field. As an instructional league we encourage our coaches to be on the field during the first few weeks (to help the players with positioning). However, as the season progresses we do work towards coaching more from the sidelines and having the players play.
: Team Schedules
are available here
. Schedules include the team you play, field and shirt color (red or reversible white).
6. Equipment : All children must have the red/white reversible MAYSA Mesh Team Shirt, order through our online registration process. Shirts from previous years are fine. Shin guards with socks over the top are required to play. Soccer cleats or turf shoes are encouraged but not mandatory. Soccer cleats do not have a toe cleat (that's the cleat at the very front of the shoe). Baseball and football cleats do have a toe cleat and can not be used for soccer.
7. Practice/Team Shirts: Players do not need to wear their MAYSA playing shirt for any practices throughout the year, although they are always welcome to wear them. If you ordered a MAYSA playing shirt, you will be able to pick it up at the Check-in table during the first or second week of practice.
8. Practice Locations: All In-House practice take place at our fields located at Cool Springs Fitness. During the first and second practice you will see three red flags located at different areas of the fields. Each flag represents an particular area (Beginner, Junior, and Senior).
- Beginner players practice and play at the field area closest to the Concession Stand
- Juniors practice and play in the middle fields
- Seniors practice and play at the far (north) end furthest from the Concession Stand.
9. Swap Box: There are many pairs of slightly worn soccer spikes available for the kids, so please take what you need.
10. Not-a-Drop-Off: MAYSA's practices and games are not considered a "drop off" situation. We ask all parents or guardians to be at the fields while their child is playing or practicing.
11. Parking & Crosswalk: There will be over 145 players arriving and practicing at the fields, please drive with great care when entering or leaving the field parking lot areas. Please park in the two gravel lots closest to the Soccer Fields or at the far end (North end) of the fields. Please do not park in the paved fitness center lots.
12. Weather: Generally, soccer and MAYSA play in the rain, but not in a torrential downpour and not if there is lightening present. For the most part, the kids don't mind the rain and mud and seem to enjoy an occasional game in rain.
Our fields were built with special drainage underneath and even after a great deal of rain we are often able to play. However, if we decide early in the day that a practice or matches can not be held due to weather, we will attempt to email and text everyone on or before 4:30pm. If you do not receive an email or text on or before 4:30pm, then any weather decisions will be made at the fields. For the most part, 99% of the time, we make practice and game decision at the fields.
If during practice or matches there is lightening present, then we will ask everyone to leave the field, get in their cars and we will take a 20-30 minute break. When possible we communicate and coordinate with the Cool Springs Fitness (CSF) pool manager. CSF's pool policy also requires the pool to be shut down if lightening is present. We may begin games again after a 20-30 minute break, however, if we see any repeat lighting, we will be done.
13. Field Conduct: MAYSA soccer is an instructional recreational program. We strive to insure family-friendly environment for our players, coaches, referees and families. There is no smoking and no alcohol permitted while at the fields. Also, abusive or negative comments directed at the players, coaches or referees will not be tolerated. Help us maintain an environment in which our players can play, learn and grow.
14. Team Assignments: We do our very best to finalize team assignments before the first practice end. However, sometime we need until a little more time. If for any reason we do not finalize team assignments prior to the end of the first practice, we will contact you via email within a couple days. Also, Team Assignments will be available at the Check-In Table as you arrive for the second week's practice.
15. First Practice (Thursday, August 21st): Please plan on arriving a few minutes early.
- Everyone must visit the "Check-In" desk as they arrive at the fields. Players that have played before or know where to go, do not need to wait in line and may go directly onto the fields. This will help us finalize registrations, team assignments and answer any questions you may have.
- 2. High school coaches and players run the first practice: MAYSA In-House has a long standing practice of doing everything possible to not turn away any child that wishes to play soccer. To help us with that goal, finalize registrations, team assignments, further review coaching policies and more, each year the Mercer Mustang boys or girls high school coaches and players run the first evening's practice.
16. Kindergarden Orientation: Some Beginning Level players may miss a portion of the first practice due to the Kindergarten Orientation which annually takes place on the first evening of practice. Our coaches are aware and understand. If you can make a portion of the practice, check-in and meet your child's coach, that would great.
Finally, If you haven't yet sign up for our text messages, take minute to do so by texting followmaysa to 84483. You should receive an immediate response confirming you've been added to the list.
Honor the game,
MAYSA Soccer In-House Instructional/Recreational Team
MAYSA's (Online) Parent/Coach Training Resources
Parent Coaches, as a follow up to our Parent Coaches Clinic, below you will find important information discussed during the Clinic. Please take a few minutes to review items 1-7 below:
1. Coaching Clinic 2014 - Click on the image below click here to view or download this year's Coaching Clinic Notes. The notes include the link that must be used to authorize your child protection/background check.
2. Child Protection Clearances and Background Checks - Coaches and assistant coaches, you must complete your PA West Child Protection Background check. Please do not wait to start the process. Below is a link that will get the process started.
a). If you haven't signed up as a coach as part of your Affinity Account, please do so. I think everyone has an Affinity account and has been set up as a coach, however, you may need to login to your account and enter a Driver License or proper Date Of Birth. If you have any questions please contact our Registrar, Lynn Long, at LynnLongSoccer@gmail.com or (724) 662-0745.
c). When you get to the point of payment, please mark paid with check and use the check #1520. Once all coaches have completed this process MAYSA will send a check coving the cost.
3. U.S. Youth Soccer Practice Activities for the Parent Coach (free) - click on the image below to view or download:
Beginner Division (U6, U8) Junior Division (U10) Senior Division (U12)
4. Positive Coaching Alliance (PCA) video: click on the image below to view a short 2 minute video
5. Soccer Made Easy - Borrow a (free) copy from MAYSA or purchase you own by clicking below: 6. The "Small-Sided" Game (SSG): SSG is a FUN environment that focuses on the young soccer player. Small-Sided Games are developmentally appropriate environment for our youngest soccer players. MAYSA, strongly supports . . . to read more click the image below.
"Professional coaches measure success in rings. College coaches measure success in championships.
High School coaches measure success in titles. Youth coaches measure success in smiles."
-P. McAllister, Youth Coach